Fran McCaffery talks about Sunday night's ejection

Iowa coach Fran McCaffery addressed his ejection following Sunday night’s loss at Wisconsin. The coach, of course, was asked plenty of questions about the ejection, which came eight minutes into the second half after he was rung up for two technical fouls and appeared to make contact with an official. Watch McCaffery address the media in this post.

[ MORE: Big Ten Geeks: Did Fran lose it? ]

While McCaffery said he couldn’t address what exactly made him so mad, he had plenty of interesting things to say.

Like this, on his technical fouls: “What I feel bad about is getting the second one. I think the first one, I think, it’s safe to say I kind of went after that one a little bit. The second one, I’m not so sure about.”

Or this, on a possible discipline: “No. I got two (technical fouls), why would I be disciplined?”

[ MORE: Dienhart: “I hope this is last eruption of Mount McCaffery” ]

On Monday morning, McCaffery and Iowa Director of Athletics Gary Barta released a joint statement.

Here’s McCaffery’s:

“I want to apologize for my emotional reaction during Sunday night’s game at Wisconsin. I have great passion and respect for the game of basketball and everyone involved in it. I regret that my actions put our program and the University of Iowa in a negative light. I look forward to working with my staff and my players to move forward and compete for a championship.”

And Barta’s:

“I’ve met with Coach McCaffery regarding last night’s ejection from the game in Madison. He knows he crossed a line of acceptable behavior and accepts responsibility for his actions. All staff at the University of Iowa fully support the Big Ten Conference’s sportsmanship policy’s fundamental elements, including civility and respect toward opponents and game officials. Fran has my full support moving forward.”

Watch McCaffery get ejected:

Bill Gabbard on 1/6/2014 @ 10:09am EST Said:

It’s a game, calls go against you then calls go your way. Chill out

Dtrain on 1/6/2014 @ 11:02am EST Said:

Wish he would simply admit he cost his team the game- totally shifted the momentum and were still up 2 when it happened. Hawks had to scramble to keep it close the rest of the way. Obviously referees are tired of his act as he goes off way too often.

Brian Jones on 1/6/2014 @ 11:04am EST Said:

That’s the Big Ten on the road. Been that way for years the Home team gets some help from the zebra’s. It’s sickening some times these are players playing there as off only to have the refs change the outcome of these games.I hope it stops! Brian / Indiana

Ted Valentine on 1/6/2014 @ 11:27am EST Said:

Sick of hearing Iowa fans whining about the calls. Refs were terrible both ways. Not to mention they never called the hand checking being done on the perimeter. The momentum had shifted well before that happened.

mehlertmj on 1/6/2014 @ 11:47am EST Said:

Glad to see an Iowa coach so passionate, though he did cross the line. Sometimes emotions get the best of us.

gerry cayo on 1/6/2014 @ 11:49am EST Said:

he didn’t cost his team the game? They were up ever since it was 3-2 and never led after hiss ill behavior. He needs to be suspended for not leaving promptly and coaching after his ejection.

Gary on 1/6/2014 @ 12:58pm EST Said:

Hawks had many chances after the ejection. We too often get into those “funks” when we miss easy layup or tip shots and front ends of 1 and 1, which can/do easily change momentum. Every game we’ve lost this year and quite a few last year same reason. I love
Fran’s fire…the team needs more of it!

gerry cayo on 1/6/2014 @ 2:42pm EST Said:

WI made four free throws on the technical. Iowa lost by four. Iowa never lad after the outburst. The so called fire and passion cost Iowa the game, I think.

Leroy Powell on 1/6/2014 @ 6:20pm EST Said:

Momentum had already shifted. Several “no-calls” on Wisconsin and some “touch calls” on Iowa after Wisconsin had started to make their 3s. Have not watched tape yet, but would be interested to see the calls made or not made in the 2nd half prior to McCaffrey’s blow-up vs. calls made or not made after that. I do remember that Aaron White shot a bunch of free throws after the technical happened. It seems that officials always “adjust” their calls after a coach gets T’d up.

Dave on 1/6/2014 @ 7:12pm EST Said:

So many people commenting on his behavior, but how many actually saw the plays that ticked him off? Olaseni gets absolutely mugged, no call on Wisconsin, next possession Olaseni is tagged for breathing on someone. Shameful refs.

Chad Burke on 1/6/2014 @ 7:27pm EST Said:

it was a 1 point game with 2 or 3 minutes left so no, Fran did not cost Iowa the game. Hopefully he sent two messages; the home cooking in the B1G is out of hand, and Iowa’s players need some fire to finish games. Marble has it, White finally showed some going hard at the hoop, as did Gesell. Wiscy just went unconscious from 3 and that basically won them the game.

Richter on 1/6/2014 @ 7:33pm EST Said:

If anything Fran’s outburst made the officials call a more even game down the stretch. If he doesn’t get tossed Iowa doesn’t get half of the calls they got the last five minutes because they didn’t get them the first ten in the second half. Plus if they can’t defend the three better or make free throws they won’t win close games. Ejection or not.

Skiman on 1/6/2014 @ 11:32pm EST Said:

Brust was the difference in the second half, give credit where credits due.

coasty69 on 1/7/2014 @ 6:50am EST Said:

The “T” was a good called foul but the EJECTION was BOGUS! The Broadcaster said CONTACT WAS MADE. The official made the contact not McCaffery! Maybe it was something else? I’m not an Iowa fan, but I have the B1G network and I live in the south so I can compare. Neither am I a coach or B1G player bound by rules that pamper some of the worst officials in college basketball! Not all of the officials are bad, but there is enough that they spoil them all. I have watched two or three, for at least ten years, that are very questionable. On the good side I see one has lost weight this year and in the two games I’ve seen him in, he did well. The B1G Commission needs to start weeding them out.

jay on 1/7/2014 @ 11:31am EST Said:

I Have Been Frustrated For The Past Few Years On b10 Officiating. They Are Extremely Inconsistent Through Out The Game And Decide The Outcome Far To Often. They Seem To Want To Make The Game About Them And It Needs To Be Adressed By Delaney And The Director Of Officials. I Have Zero To Little Respect For B10 Officials And Have Turned The Channel Many Times Because It Becomes Unbearable To Watch.

Dan T. on 1/7/2014 @ 2:20pm EST Said:

I have watched numerous games & teams this year in both football & basketball at both
the pro & college levels. The officiating is atrocious & it is about time that something gets
done about it. Good sportsmanship is brought about by a level playing field that I see no
longer exists. I can usually predict before a game starts which team will get the benefits of
the poor officiating. Good for you coach! By the way, Bo Pellini threw something at an official
in the Iowa-Nebraska football game! Where was his fine & suspension??? As I have already
opined, the absence of a level playing field!!!!!

Scoop Newsworthy on 1/7/2014 @ 11:31pm EST Said:

He was trying to get the first T and deserved it. Second one was incidental and could have been overlooked by a more calm professional crew. Illinois fan, so no skin in this, but for all teams, our conference officiating seems to be unduly influenced by home crowds and sometimes gets lost in the game. Even in the bcs game the big ten crew seemed a little lost and missed some easy calls. No excuse for mccafertys behavior, but needs to be a way to address the home court big ears syndrome.