Who’s the best team in the Big Ten? The latest polls say it’s Ohio State. Barely, though. The top of the Big Ten is loaded, to the point where the No. 1 team could be up for debate on a weekly basis. This week, I have undefeated and tested Wisconsin atop my latest Power Rankings, presented by ArcelorMittal.
1. Wisconsin (10-0). The Badgers are undefeated, and with wins over St. John’s, Florida, @ Green Bay, @ Virginia, and Marquette, they could be considered for No. 1 in the nation right now.
Last week: 3
2. Ohio State (8-0). Big Ten Player of the Week LaQuinton Ross is starting to find his rhythm. Only Notre Dame stands in the way of undefeated non-conference schedule.
Last week: 2
|POWER RANKINGS PRESENTED BY|
3. Michigan State (7-1). Following the home loss to North Carolina, the Spartans get 10 days off before playing Oakland. The Tarheels exposed the lack of depth inside for Spartans.
Last week: 1
4. Iowa (9-1). The shootout victory over Notre Dame and strong win over surprising Drake has Iowa looking good. If Hawkeyes can avoid a letdown against Fairleigh Dickinson, a huge in-state battle looms this Friday at undefeated Iowa State!
Last week: 4
5. Indiana (7-2). The Hoosiers still can’t figure out Syracuse’s zone defense. Don’t think many others will, either, this season. Noah Vonleh gets another Big Ten Freshman of the Week award.
Last week: 5
6. Michigan (6-3). Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III need to get healthy quickly as #1 Arizona is up next for Wolverines. Game at Crisler vs. explosive Wildcats will be a great measuring stick for this young team.
Last week: 6
7. Illinois (8-1). Young Illini outpacing expectations with 8-1 record. The loss at Georgia Tech was tough one to drop. Fire gets hot quickly as Illinois faces Oregon and Missouri in two of their next three games.
Last week: 7
8. Purdue (8-2). Handled their part of the challenge by thumping Boston College at home. This Saturday v. Butler (on BTN/BTN2Go) and at West Virginia will add to already challenging non-conference schedule.
Last week: 9
9. Minnesota (8-2). Good win at home vs. Florida State. The Gophers are leading the Big Ten in steals, and the players are really starting to embrace Richard Pitino’s system. Only three games remain before opening Big Ten vs. Michigan.
Last week: 10
10. Penn State (7-3). Played well in loss at Pitt. Their non-conference schedule has been one of the toughest in the Big Ten thus far, and it will pay off come Big Ten time.
Last week: 8
11. Nebraska (6-3). The Huskers had a chance to establish themselves as contenders at Creighton. It didn’t work out that way. They should be able to regroup, however, before going to Cincinnati.
Last week: 11
12. Northwestern (5-5). Following three straight losses, the Wildcats rebounded with a 51-35 win over Western Michigan. This team is still trying to play and react in new system under Chris Collins.
Last week: 12
– Team records are through December 8 action.
|About Stephen Bardo
||The BTN basketball analyst and former Flyin’ Illini star is a regular contributor to BTN.com. Follow Bardo on Twitter @stephenbardo, read his past posts right here, and use the form below to submit your questions to his Big Ten basketball mailbag.|