It’s time for my latest Big Ten Power Rankings. This week, Penn State is the biggest mover, ascending two spots to No. 8 following a strong showing in the Barclays Center Classic. Before the highly anticipated Big Ten/ACC Challenge tips off tonight, check out where I have your team ranked.
[ MORE: View the latest college basketball polls ]
1. Michigan State (7-0). The Spartans took care of business vs. Mt. Saint Mary’s, as expected, and will be well rested for mercurial North Carolina on Wednesday.
Last week: 1
2. Ohio State (6-0). Shannon Scott was one point shy of making it six Ohio State players in double figures in win vs. North Florida. Amir Williams continued to impress, too, with a career-high 18 points.
Last week: 2
|POWER RANKINGS PRESENTED BY|
3. Wisconsin (8-0). Sam Dekker cards first career double-double, wins Cancun tourney MVP, and the Badgers are 8-0 for first time under Bo Ryan. Tough matchup at Virginia next.
Last week: 3
4. Iowa (7-1). Two overtime finishes in three games, coming just short of a title in Battle 4 Atlantis. Winnable home matchup up next, as Notre Dame invades Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
Last week: 4
5. Indiana (6-1). The Hoosiers can avenge last season’s NCAA tourney loss when they play at Syracuse. Noah Vonleh will get good test from ‘Cuse frontline.
Last week: 5
6. Michigan (5-2). Zak Irvin’s 24 points with star Nik Stauskas resting was a welcome sight. Wolverines should be healed up for trip to Duke.
Last week: 6
7. Illinois (7-0). Rayvonte Rice is Big Ten Player of the Week for his performances at UNLV and IPFW. Illini seeking fifth straight win in ACC/Big Ten challenge against Georgia Tech.
Last week: 8
9. Purdue (6-2). Second-half deficits of 24 and 16 points have to concern Coach Painter. Boilers battled back and beat Siena, though, for second time this season.
Last week: 9
10. Minnesota (6-2). Next seven games are at home and should help Mo Walker find his rhythm. Florida State will be really good gauge for these evolving Gophers.
Last week: 8
11. Nebraska (5-2). Charleston Classic experience will pay off later on. Huskers needed every bit of Deverell Biggs’ career high of 18 points to stave off Northern Illinois.
Last week: 11
12. Northwestern (4-4). Coach Collins is not shying away from competition, with Missouri and UCLA. Also, JerShon Cobb is starting to round back into form with consecutive 22-point games.
Last week: 12
– Team records are through December 1 action.
|About Stephen Bardo
||The BTN basketball analyst and former Flyin’ Illini star is a regular contributor to BTN.com. Follow Bardo on Twitter @stephenbardo, read his past posts right here, and use the form below to submit your questions to his Big Ten basketball mailbag.|