Shawn Eichorst releases statement on Bo Pelini

Bruce Thorson-USA TODAY Sports

Bruce Thorson-USA TODAY Sports

Nebraska Director of Athletics Shawn Eichorst released a statement on head coach Bo Pelini on Saturday morning. Read the full release in this post.

[ AP: Bo Pelini: ‘If they want to fire me, go ahead ]

Here’s the full release:

“My approach has always been to not comment publicly about our coaches until their full seasons are complete, as I strongly believe it is unfair and counter to best practices. However, given the volume of unfounded speculation and conjecture about our head football coach, I want to reaffirm what I have said many times since I have arrived at the University of Nebraska — that I positively respect, appreciate and support our football student-athletes, coaches and staff, as we do everyone in the Husker family. We very much look forward to our upcoming bowl game and Coach Pelini continuing to lead our program in the future.”

Nebraska lost to Iowa, 38-17, on Friday at Memorial Stadium. Read the AP recap here.

Later Saturday, Pelini also issued a release:

“I want to thank our administration and Shawn Eichorst in particular, for his continued and full support that he has given me and our football program since his arrival on campus.   I am honored to represent this university and its great fans and I’m proud to lead this program into the future.

I apologize for reacting emotionally yesterday and for showing frustration both with the game officials and the media.  I fully understand and respect their difficult jobs, and I regret any and all actions or words which may have shed a negative light on our program and university. Accountability is a core belief throughout our program, and as the head coach, I must set and maintain a high standard.

Our football staff is hitting recruiting full throttle and looking forward to the upcoming bowl game.  We are committed to working with Shawn and our entire department staff to continue to build this program and bring championships back to Nebraska.”

Watch the highlights:

judy kay Allen on 11/30/2013 @ 12:04pm EST Said:

Thanks You go Bo. 100 percent behind you. Jkallen ogallala Nebraska.

Joel on 11/30/2013 @ 12:08pm EST Said:

Guess the media hate train lost.

shookwriter27 on 11/30/2013 @ 1:57pm EST Said:

It looks like there won’t be a coaching change in the Big Ten in the first time in at least 17 years.

bigtengrad on 11/30/2013 @ 2:03pm EST Said:

Enjoy 4 loss seasons for the foreseeable future, Nebraska fans. And that’s playing in the B1G. The weak division of the B1G.

Marcus Littleton on 11/30/2013 @ 2:06pm EST Said:

History will always show Nebraska being a powerhouse program. Nothing short of National Championships satisfies long time fans and supporters. Pretty high expectations when 5 star recruits are going to SEC schools and not to NU, Oklahoma and Texas like they did in the 70’s.

Gerald Edgar on 11/30/2013 @ 3:41pm EST Said:

Bo & his Huskers lost to the best 4 loss team in America per many commentators (losses to 4 teams, 2 undefeated, in top 15 with combined records of 41-3 as of Friday) and one that has steadily improved with a rookie QB. Thus this would have been a loss for many Iowa opponents. Face it Huskers – the better the team won regardless of who coached.
I don’t care for Bo’s personality but his coaching ability is not lacking. Iowa grad

Brian on 11/30/2013 @ 4:21pm EST Said:

Interesting comment bigtengrad – the Legends division is 46-25 as of this moment, as opposed to 36-31 for the “stronger” side and the Legends has 5 bowl eligible teams compared to 2 and maybe 3 in the other division. Without Ohio State the “stronger” division would be almost nothing. Guess you were not a math major in college.

Dan Purcell on 11/30/2013 @ 4:34pm EST Said:

Join the club Nebraska! Its a good thing you can live in the past Nebraska fans,because I’m not so sure your future is going to get much brighter!

Frances O'Connell on 11/30/2013 @ 4:37pm EST Said:

Thanks!!! Support Bo!!! Media needs to get a life & move on!!! Their witch hunt is over!!!

Thomas Graham on 11/30/2013 @ 6:10pm EST Said:

Pelini’s remarks after the beat down they took from the Hawkeyes shows his immaturity. As coach he should shut up and just live and learn. You won’t hear that kind of crap from any other Big 10 coach. He’s totally classless. Nebraska deserves better. He should be fired. Tom Osborne, the classiest person on the planet, is probably embarrassed beyond belief by Pelini’s rant. The Corn Husker fans I know all liked the rant because that’s how they act, too.

kay johnson on 11/30/2013 @ 7:12pm EST Said:

I am BEHIND BO ALL THE WAY…ten years ago fri 11-29 FRANK S. WAS FIRED…then if you all remember who the A.D. THEN BROUGHT IN ???? all husker fans BO INHERIATED A MESS 5 YRS AGO…I think he is going in the right direction.He has done alot in 5 yrs…if you negitive fans keep talking negitive….how are we going to get the good recruits here to play….??????? so everyone please just be PATIENT…LET BO DO HIS JOB…Maybe we need to recruit SCOTT FROST HERE FOR THE OFFENSIVE SIDE OF THINGS…. JUST A THOUGHT….BACK YOU BO… THE MEDIA NEEDS TO SHUT UP….I love SPUNK IN A COACH…REMINDS ME OF DEVANEY….. GO BIG RED.

Ron Dalton on 11/30/2013 @ 7:47pm EST Said:

Thank GOD for the decision to keep Bo Peline. BO Pelini is the right guy for Nebraska.
The press, TV and newspapers have been on a witch hunt. I will not watch tv news or read newspaper reports for a long time. How about: Lets fire Harvey Perlman. What has he done except cause Husker Nation to be divided. Ever since Solich. HE IS THE PROBLEM. Why doesn’t the press go after him? What has he really done? NOTHING!

Curly from Lincoln on 11/30/2013 @ 9:34pm EST Said:

High school football players are human. They want a few things including a good education, lots of opportunities and to have fun. They can get a great education and opportunities at UNL but they won’t have fun playing for the program. For proof, watch the YouTube video of Bo Pelini smashing a cell phone as a practical joke. The players are paralyzed with fear, not anticipation. I expect the program will only be as good as the high school players coming out of Nebraska high schools.

Rich Moss on 11/30/2013 @ 10:01pm EST Said:

FOR THOSE IGNORANT PEOPLE THAT THINK YOU CAN TAKE A PROGRAM THAT WAS TOTALLY DESTROYED BY CALLAHAN AND DO WHAT BO HAS DONE, HE HAS BROUGHT BACK THE WALK ON PROGRAM, PRIDE IN THE TEAM. THE MEDIA AND FAIR WEATHER FANS HAVE TO LOOK BACK AT THE 70S AND 80S WHEN EVERYONE COMPLAINED ABOUT OSBORNE NOT BEING ABLE TO WIN THE BIG GAME.

Curly from Lincoln on 11/30/2013 @ 10:51pm EST Said:

I think it is extremely funny that a Bo Pelini supporter would post a comment in ALL CAPS! Thanks for providing some humor to this situation.

Bofan on 12/1/2013 @ 2:18am EST Said:

How did two mediocre teams from the Big 12, Mizzou and Texas A&M, get so good? It’s only their second season in the SEC, so it can’t be their recruits. Bo needs to follow their blueprints.

Thomas Graham on 12/1/2013 @ 2:20pm EST Said:

This has nothing at all to do with Devaney, Osborne, Callahan or Polini’s record or the job he does on the field or what he inherited. It’s about shutting up his mouth and taking his lumps like a man instead of whining like a little girl. (No offense meant toward little girls). He got his ass beat by Iowa and that’s that. It’s never one call or one play that loses or wins a game. He needs to live and learn and make his team better from the loss. If he can’t, he should be fired. Nobody likes a whiner.

Gerald Edgar on 12/1/2013 @ 3:25pm EST Said:

Pelini may be a good coach of x’s & o’s but has no class. You can be emotional up to a point but he crosses the line. Throwing hats at refs, berating the opposing coach, spouting 4 letter words re: officials, cussing out your fans, etc does not indicate class. I cannot recall any other Big 10 coach acting this way going back to such emotional coaches as Woody Hayes. There is a line and Bo tramples on it. yes, he’s intense but not half as intense as say Dan Gable who won 16 National wrestling titles in 20 yrs yet never blew up at his athletes, the media or the fans.