Spencer: OSU would wipe field with 'Bama, FSU

(AP) Bring on `Bama. Florida State, too. Ohio State wide receiver Evan Spencer made it clear Monday that he believes the Buckeyes are better than No. 3. Spencer had a chance to watch two-time defending national champion Alabama and second-ranked Florida State last weekend while the Buckeyes had an open date.

“I guess I’m a little biased but I think we’d wipe the field with both of them,” said Spencer with a chuckle. The junior, who is the son of former Ohio State and NFL player and coach Tim Spencer, added, “That’s just my bias speaking.”

Actually, Spencer didn’t mention Florida State. Asked if he was referring to the Seminoles, he said, “Whoever.”

Urban Meyer took a very different approach to making it known that he thinks the Buckeyes deserve a chance to play for the national title.

Meyer said he voted the Buckeyes (9-0, 5-0 Big Ten) No. 2 on his USA Today coaches’ poll ballot – behind Alabama but ahead of Florida State.

“I believe we have Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State,” Meyer said of his ballot. He couldn’t remember the order of the next two teams, between Stanford and Baylor.

Asked for his rationale in voting that way, Meyer said, “I had us (No.) 2 all year. I just think we’re playing like one of the top teams in the country right now.”

The coaches’ poll is used in the BCS standings formula.

Read the full AP story.

Here’s one of Spencer’s 2013 highlights:

Kevin Gillman on 11/11/2013 @ 5:18pm EST Said:

I truly think Ohio State can compete against either of the two teams. I don’t think they would wipe the floor off the mat with them, but the defense is improving, and the most important aspect is the Buckeyes are putting up the points at will, with either QB. How would Bama or FSU do with their backup QBs? It would be must-see games.

delmar1950 on 11/11/2013 @ 5:43pm EST Said:

Nothing else need be said.GOOD BUCKS

Squeek Eron on 11/11/2013 @ 8:52pm EST Said:

Spencer is trying to rattle the ESPN sportswriters with this trash talk. It’s obviously working. Mark May is apoplectic.

Michael Hellmann on 11/11/2013 @ 9:09pm EST Said:

You’ll have to get by the #1 Defense in the country first. Ohio beat Sparty by 2 points last year on a fluke!!

delmar1950 on 11/13/2013 @ 7:41am EST Said:

I too would like to know fluke are you talking about ? If MSU get there and that in it self might be a fluke considering that their offense is sometimes offensive in it’s own right then we can have this debate.GO BUCKS

Eric on 11/12/2013 @ 3:16am EST Said:

..Michael, how exactly was it a fluke? Beautiful pass for the go ahead score and the D shut you down the rest of the night, it was a good game, get over it, it wony be so close of we meet this year.

David on 11/12/2013 @ 5:16pm EST Said:

I agree that OSU could compete with Alabama or FSU. Wipe the floor with them? Get serious. OSU would find out just how good they are by playing Alabama. I believe at least five SEC teams could beat OSU. Spencer needs to run his comments by Urban Meyer first. After all, Nick Saban ran Urban out of the SEC…almost gave him a heart attack. Roll Tide!!!!

Doug on 11/12/2013 @ 7:27pm EST Said:

Michael, OSU beat MSU 17-16 last year, it was a hell of a game, both teams are better this year, hopefully we see eachother Dec. 7th ! Eric, don’t get too cocky, MSU’s D is no joke, it will be close !