Did you see Stanley Jean-Baptiste get ejected?

Nebraska’s Stanley Jean-Baptiste was ejected in the second quarter of Nebraska’ game at Purdue for this hit on a Purdue receiver. He is the first Big Ten player to be ejected under the new contact rules. The Huskers defensive back was ejected from the game for targeting.

Watch it here, and watch other plays here.

Earlier this year, Nebraska’s Bo Pelini had some concerns about the new penalty. At Media Day this summer Pelini said: “I understand it’s about player safety, but we have to make sure we’re not messing up integrity of game and how it’s played. It’s going to be pretty subjective … In my opinion it’s going a little overboard.”

Watch that it here.

Presented by Orville Redenbacher’s Popcorn, these video segments are great football moments clipped and posted online during live Big Ten football games. Are you on Twitter? Follow any or all of the accounts below to get many of these plays and other plays tweeted to you as soon as they happen. You an also book mark the “Did You See This” page to catch up on later.

MAIN ACCOUNT:

SCHOOL-SPECIFIC ACCOUNTS:

Find out more about: ,

shookwriter27 on 10/12/2013 @ 1:36pm EDT Said:

The penalty seems too severe.

Josie on 10/12/2013 @ 1:52pm EDT Said:

I agree with Pelini, and I saw the play, Baptiste DID NOT intentionally make helmet contact and think they just wanted to make an example of this new rule – it stinks!!!

Galen on 10/12/2013 @ 2:11pm EDT Said:

STUPID rule…..

Josie on 10/12/2013 @ 2:38pm EDT Said:

These guys are supposed to be able to play football and now it seems they are all too scared to play the real game because of this rule – sorry to rant on & on but come on….let the boys play football…………

delmar1950 on 10/12/2013 @ 2:45pm EDT Said:

If I player leads will his head then he should be kicked out of the game. On the play he could had just easy hit the kid with his shoulder and chose to use his head. And the fact that he flexed on the play probably didn’t help him either.

Eric on 10/12/2013 @ 3:31pm EDT Said:

The refs should have to wear skirts at all of Nebraska’s games.

The sack called “roughing the passer” in their first game. Now this. Disgusting.

I miss football.

Sue kirkpatrick on 10/12/2013 @ 4:08pm EDT Said:

With about 4:00 minutes left in the 4th qtr, a Purdue defensive player lead with his helmet and hit Husker player #34, Newbie in the helmet, stood him up and knocked him back. Why was a penalty not called and that Purdue player ejected from the game? Safety is safety for both sides. I want to hear this discussed every time sports broadcasters talk about Stanley.

Spartytom on 10/12/2013 @ 4:10pm EDT Said:

The geezer calling this game needs to go. Stop the insanity.

Josh U. on 10/12/2013 @ 4:57pm EDT Said:

This was a clean hit! The refs got this call wrong. I like player safety, but they, the refs, have got to use this rule correctly for it to truly served its purpose. Same as in the NFL. This will only force youngsters to be more attractive to playing offense to avoid ejections and fines as they progress in their career. Let’s be proactive and adress this elephant in the room!

tominne on 10/12/2013 @ 5:47pm EDT Said:

Both players put their head down. Seemed too close for this call to be made. Felt bad for Stanley.

bigtengrad on 10/12/2013 @ 7:48pm EDT Said:

Kind of a tough play to toss a kid on. Good hit, looked like the Purdue player dropped his head too. That’s football. It’s kind of a no-win for the defensive guy when both players drop their heads. Penalty, maybe; ejection, no.

delmar1950 on 10/13/2013 @ 10:24am EDT Said:

People you all are all in denial, players have been told that this new rule call targeting would be call and that ref.would be airing on the side of safety. The defensive player could have just made the tackle instead he tried a knock out hit instead. The offensive player had his head turn looking at the QB to receive the ball and the the kid on defense could have just made a form tackle and that in itself would have resulted in a big hit. I don’t like the rule but it’s there so the defensive players have to adjust to the rules or they going to continue to get kicked out of games.

SteveNIndy on 10/12/2013 @ 9:43pm EDT Said:

I can see why they flagged him but to eject him even after reviewed the hit is mind boggling. The Big Ten got this call wrong!

bob on 10/12/2013 @ 10:09pm EDT Said:

the people making these rules do not understand reality

Kyle on 10/12/2013 @ 11:04pm EDT Said:

Not surprising, the B1G has had the worst ref’s in college football for awhile now. seriously, when they don’t know what a holding call is, how do you expect them to get this right?

…Bo’s comments on this subject after the game? …it’s a Classic — In regard to the targeting rule following SJB’s ejection:

“It’s almost like whatever I think is logical, it seems like it goes the other way,” Pelini said. “It’s kind of like Bizarro World in Seinfeld. Sometimes I think that’s the world I’m in.”

Kory Vering on 10/12/2013 @ 11:41pm EDT Said:

Just saw the same play in the Texas A&M/ Ole miss game that was worse than stanleys and they overturned it. That was a bad call and unfair for making the takle

bob jones on 10/13/2013 @ 7:41am EDT Said:

Bad call, incompetent replay officials, bad rule. Very questionable about even being a penalty, the ejection is absurd.

Gary Coleman on 10/13/2013 @ 11:22am EDT Said:

SJB’s helmet contact was just a brush, incidental to a form tackle, and equally caused by runner lowering shoulder and dropping head. Whereas Elston in Ole Miss/TAM game LAUNCHED into receiver, hit him squarely under the chin, and was even after the receiver missed the catch. Even without the “when in doubt” clause, that was a penalty/ejection under the rule. Yet, ejection was reversed!! Just representative of the different approach to rules (penalties, recruiting, scholastics,etc) in the Big Ten and SEC. Big Ten seems to take pride in interpreting rules beyond the letter and even the spirit of the rules to their own disadvantage and the SEC interprets rules as (weak) suggestions.

delmar1950 on 10/13/2013 @ 8:31pm EDT Said:

Hey Gary C. if you will remember the Big ten head of officials did say that they would call anything that looked like targeting and they are. It’s kinda hard to say that more of this hitting is going on in the SEC.and not in the Big ten even if it seem that way. If I’m not mistaken the first player ejected was in a Big ten game at Indiana in there first game of the season. Hey I too think that the rule is unfair especially when the call is reversed and the team is still penalize, what kinda sense does that make.

huskerfanbb on 10/13/2013 @ 10:30pm EDT Said:

The B1G officials have done an exceedingly poor job this year overall, and this is just another example.
The penalty was based on the severity of the hit, and NOT the wording of the rule since other helmet to helmet hits that are not as hard are NOT called.

delmar1950 on 10/20/2013 @ 11:35am EDT Said:

First I’d like to apologize to the Husker fans for the grief I’ve been giving them for complaining the ejection call of CB Jean-Baptiste. Yesterday a similar call was called on Ohio States CB Roby and he was ejected from the game when it was clear that he did not target the Iowa player. This rule is not good for college football and when the booth looks at the play and still can’t get it right then something is very wrong. I sounded off about the the fact that the Husker kid flexed after the hit and this was probably had a lot to do with the call. Well yesterday the CB for the Bucks made a stomping move after the hit and then the flag came in and it seem as though the reaction is what getting the flags more than the actual hit in most of the cases. I know that they are trying to protect players and I think that they should but they’ve got to get calls right and there not in most cases. GO BUCKS

Josie on 10/14/2013 @ 2:51pm EDT Said:

In reply to Sue kirkpatrick’s comment on Saturday, I too saw that hit and waited to see if the ref’s would make the call but didn’t – very unfair!!! (I was actually up in front of the t.v. pointing it out to them, like they were going to hear me)………

We all could go on and on voicing our opinions, but in the end, ref’s are still going to do what they want to do and just sad that Baptiste had to be the example this time around – what comes around/goes around…………..

Tim Harb on 10/15/2013 @ 12:44pm EDT Said:

I think the Big 10 needs to go over this rule and talk to the guys in replay. I also think they need to call it more evenly. I understand NU is watched a lot due to this, but there are other times where the other team had helm to helm contact and were not called. Just because it was in the open and a big hit does not mean that it should be called. if they are going to call then they need to call them all, or they need to change the rule to protect incidental contact. I also say it should include that if the offensive man lowers his head or changes position then it should be a mutual penalty on both players.

delmar1950 on 10/15/2013 @ 3:27pm EDT Said:

Tim Harb i agree with much of what you say but unlike the NFL where all the officials are under the same umbrella the officials in the Sec and the Big ten are not. And we have to remember that the officials don’t have replay and have to make calls in a split second,we have replay. The thing that gets at me is when they review the play and see that it is not targeting and the team still gets the penalty. I don’t know what the answer is but I do believe that they will make some changes next year.

Mark B. on 10/16/2013 @ 1:45am EDT Said:

I am a little late to this but here is my 2 cents…for everyone saying he could have just hit him with his shoulder instead of targeting his head, what the heck do you think knocked the kid on his rear end? It was his left shoulder! The contact to the helmet came from about the ear hole on SJB’s helmet. It was a glancing blow not targeting. For everyone saying if he just would have form tackled he wouldn’t have been called, you are wrong. The only thing missing from that hit to make it a perfect form tackle is him wrapping his arms around him. The way he came in, bent over and DID lead with his shoulder. SJB is 6’3″ the Purdue running back is 5’9″.

delmar1950 on 10/16/2013 @ 2:56pm EDT Said:

Then he should have wrapped instead of standing up over the guy flexing. I would even go as far as to say that the flexing had as much to do with the offical throwing the flag as the hit it self. So much for showing off.

Mark B on 10/16/2013 @ 8:58pm EDT Said:

Delmar I forgot to mention the flexing. I agree 100% with you that the flexing BS is unnecessary and was a factor in the call. You’re out there to do your job so do it and turn and look him in the eye as you’re walking away.

delmar1950 on 10/17/2013 @ 10:54am EDT Said:

Hey Mark we’re good.

Mark B on 10/17/2013 @ 5:31pm EDT Said:

Delmar Just so we’re clear, I meant as a player they are out there to do a job. I hope you didn’t take that as me saying it to you.

delmar1950 on 10/17/2013 @ 9:42pm EDT Said: