U.S. Marine Corps: BTN.com Leaders of Week 4
Every Saturday night during the Big Ten football season, BTN.com posts its “U.S. Marine Corps: Leaders of the Week.” The feature is designed to honor some of the top individual Big Ten performances.
See our Week 4 stars in this post.
1. Kenny Guiton, QB, Ohio State. Making his second career start, Guiton was outstanding in Ohio State’s 76-0 thumping of Florida A&M. The Buckeyes’ senior signal caller completed 24-of-34 passes for 215 yards and six touchdowns, which set a new school record. Guiton’s performance helped lead the Buckeyes to their most lopsided win since an 85-7 victory over Drake in 1935.
Watch Guiton’s record-setting TD pass:
2. Kevonte Martin-Manley, PR, Iowa. Who ever said Iowa football wasn’t exciting? Martin-Manley sparked the Hawkeyes with back-to-back punt return touchdowns en route to a 59-3 win for Iowa over Western Michigan. Martin-Manley scored on returns of 83 and 63 yards early in the second quarter, making him the third Big Ten player to record two punt return touchdowns in the same game. Martin-Manley totaled 184 punt return yards in the victory.
Watch Martin-Manley’s 83-yard punt return TD:
3. Melvin Gordon and James White, Wisconsin Running Backs: Is there a better running back duo in the nation? Gordon ran for 147 yards and three touchdowns, while White added 145 yards and a 70-yard score as the 24th-ranked Badgers opened Big Ten play with a commanding 41-10 win over Purdue. The duo of Gordon and White have combined to rush for more than 200 yards in all four games this season.
Watch White’s 70-yard TD run:
4. Mitch Leidner, QB, Minnesota. The Gophers’ backup quarterback put up running back-like stats today. Leidner, who was filling in for injured starter Philip Nelson, rushed for 151 yards and four touchdowns in Minnesota’s 43-24 victory over San Jose State. Leidner also added 71 yards through the air as the Golden Gophers improved to 4-0.
Watch Leidner’s fourth rushing TD run:
5. B.J. Lowery, DB, Iowa: Lowery is making a case for the Big Ten’s top defensive back this season. The Hawkeyes’ talented senior cornerback returned a pair of interceptions for touchdowns as Iowa cruised to a 59-3 victory over Western Michigan. Lowery’s interceptions returns were for 35 and 13-yards, respectively.
Watch Lowery’s 35-yard INT return for a TD: