Mock brackets: How does Big Ten stack up?
The weekly mock brackets are out, and the Big Ten looks primed for seven bids—at least for now, as Illinois seems to be hanging by a thread. The Fighting Illini appear in three of the four mock brackets I check each week. Each analyst also has two Big Ten teams as No. 1 seeds, with Indiana and Michigan leading a group that also includes Michigan State, Ohio State, Minnesota and Wisconsin in each bracket.
Here’s a look at the brackets.
|Rankings as of 2/5/2013|
|2||Miami (FL) 18-3||0.6919||2|
|6||New Mexico 19-3||0.6742||5|
|13||Michigan State 18-4||0.6452||13|
|15||Colorado State 18-4||0.6349||15|
|17||Ohio State 17-5||0.6315||19|
|21||North Carolina State 16-6||0.6230||20|
|24||Kansas State 18-4||0.6148||25|
|View Complete Poll|
Joe Lunardi is the lone analyst who has just six Big Ten teams in his bracket, with Illinois being left out. No real surprises here, save for maybe Minnesota as a No. 5. Is that too high?
- No. 1 Indiana (Midwest) vs. No. 16 Bryant/Norfolk State
- No. 1 Michigan (West) vs. No. 16 Florida Gulf Coast
- No. 3 Michigan State (South) vs. No. 14 Stony Brook
- No. 3 Ohio State (East) vs. No. 14 Harvard
- No. 5 Minnesota (East) vs. No. 12 Arizona State/Indiana State
- No. 8 Wisconsin (South) vs. No. 9 Kentucky
Jerry Palm has seven Big Ten teams in his bracket. And no analyst has Illinois higher, as a No. 9 seed. Hmmm. Minnesota at No. 4 is high. Palm has Wisconsin higher than any other analyst at No. 6.
- No. 1 Indiana (West) vs. No. 16 North Carolina Central
- No. 1 Michigan (Midwest) vs. No. 16 Davidson
- No. 3 Michigan state (South) vs. No. 14 Harvard
- No. 4 Ohio State (East) vs. No. 13 Southern Miss
- No. 4 Minnesota (South) vs. No. 13 Louisiana Tech
- No. 6 Wisconsin (West) vs. No. 11 Memphis
- No. 9 Illinois (South) vs. No. 8 Oregon
Andy Glockner also has Illinois in his field, with the Fighting Illini playing in a play-in game for right to be a No. 12 seed. No analyst has Minnesota lower, here a No. 6.
- No. 1 Indiana (West) vs. No. 16 Niagara
- No. 1 Michigan (Midwest) vs. No. 16 Northeastern
- No. 3 Michigan State (East) vs. No. 14 Harvard
- No. 4 Ohio State (South) vs. No. 13 Akron
- No. 6 Minnesota (Midwest) vs. No. 11 Saint Louis
- No. 7 Wisconsin (South) vs. No. 10 Ole Miss
- No. 12 Illinois (Midwest) vs. No. 5 Oregon
Ryan Fagan also has Illinois is his field as a No. 10. No analyst has Minnesota higher than Fagan at No. 4.
- No. 1 Indiana
- No. 1 Michigan
- No. 3 Michigan State
- No. 4 Ohio State
- No. 4 Minnesota
- No. 7 Wisconsin
- No. 10 Illinois
|About Tom Dienhart||BTN.com senior writer Tom Dienhart is a veteran sports journalist who covers Big Ten football and men’s basketball for BTN.com and BTN TV. Find him on Twitter and Facebook, read all of his work at btn.com/tomdienhart, and subscribe to his posts via RSS. Also, send questions to his weekly mailbag using the form below and read all of his previous answers in his reader mailbag section.|
And if you want to leave a comment on this post, use the box below. All comments need to be approved by a moderator.