Dienhart: My Week 13 bowl projections

The Big Ten bowl picture continues to solidify. Nebraska remains the favorite to get to the Rose Bowl. But with Notre Dame—my projection last week to play the Huskers in Pasadena–now projected to play in the BCS title game, the Cornhuskers have a new foe: Oregon.

Michigan (Capital One) and Wisconsin (Outback) remain poised to play in Florida on New Year’s Day. And Northwestern (Gator) also looks to be in prime position to join them after beating Michigan State.

[RELATED: Week 13 Power Rankings | Week 13 Player Rankings]

Minnesota is the only other bowl-eligible Big Ten team. Purdue (vs. Indiana) and Michigan State (at Minnesota) each needs to win to get to the required six victories. And I think each will make it. Iowa, Illinois and Indiana have been eliminated from postseason consideration.

Here is my 13th look at where your school may be bowling over the holidays.

BOWL GAME MATCHUP TOM’S PROJECTIONS
Capital One Bowl
Tue., Jan. 1 @ 1 p.m. ET
Big Ten No. 2 vs. SEC Georgia vs. Michigan
Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio
Tue., Jan. 1 @ 5 p.m. ET
Big Ten No. 1 vs. Pac-12 Oregon vs. Nebraska

Here’s my list from last week.

BTN.com senior writer Tom Dienhart is a veteran sports journalist who covers Big Ten football and men’s basketball for BTN.com and BTN TV. Find him on Twitter and Facebook, read all of his work at btn.com/tomdienhart, and subscribe to his posts via RSS. Also, send questions to his weekly mailbag using the form below and read all of his previous answers in his reader mailbag section.

And if you want to leave a comment on this post, use the box below. All comments need to be approved by a moderator.

Doug on 11/19/2012 @ 12:58pm EDT Said:

looks like 0 for 7 with several ugly games…

Mark on 11/19/2012 @ 1:19pm EDT Said:

At first glance only Northwestern and MSU appear to have a chance of not getting blasted.

Will on 11/19/2012 @ 2:52pm EDT Said:

I still see Oregon vs. Bama working out for NCG. ND gets upset by USC, leaving Bama and Georgia to square off in SEC title game. Fla gets beat by FSU and in comes Oregon. So look for Stanford to get Rose.

Doug on 11/19/2012 @ 4:07pm EDT Said:

Will that would be sweet, NEB would have a lot better shot to beat Stanford than they would Oregon, but still, I would be shocked if there were any big ten wins during bowl season this year, it’s just been a bad year all year long.

Will on 11/19/2012 @ 5:06pm EDT Said:

Well Doug, it appears that USC QB is out for game against ND so my above prediction is in serious doubt now. With a little luck, on the Big Ten side, let’s hope we fair better than the non-conf games we all played earlier this year. OK, with the Big Ten expansion, let’s all say it together now “BIG TEN, BIG TEN, BIG TEN.”~~~~~ OK, too early I see!

Doug on 11/19/2012 @ 7:16pm EDT Said:

Stanford owns the tie breaker over Oregon, so I don’t see how Tom has Oregon going to the Rose instead of Stanford, and hell, UCLA might even beat Stanford in the Pac 12 title game to go to the Rose, I just don’t see how Oregon will make the Rose Bowl, they’re sure to be in a different BCS bowl though

Aaron Mangels on 11/19/2012 @ 11:03pm EDT Said:

How are you assuming that Oregon wins the Pac12 when they don’t even hold the Division lead?

Another interesting thing: UCLA plays Stanford this weekend. If I were Jim Mora, I’d rest my players and take the loss. Then they can to replay Stanford in the Pac12 championship rather than get stomped (probably) by Oregon.

Aaron Mangels on 11/19/2012 @ 11:08pm EDT Said:

What I failed to realize is that the Pac12 championship isn’t played at a neutral site. UCLA is still contending for home field advantage.
My comment can be (mostly) disregarded.

Maximus on 11/29/2012 @ 2:57pm EDT Said:

UCLA took the week off against Stanford the 1st time. It’s really hard to beat a team twice, let along two weeks in a row. That’s what sucks about the championship game when you also play across the divisions.