BTN profiles 'Team Jack' & fight against cancer

On this Saturday’s “Big Ten Football Pregame Show” presented by Auto-Owners Insurance, our crew profiles the touching story of a young brain cancer patient who is also a big Nebraska football fan. Jack Hoffman and Nebraska running back Rex Burkhead have formed a special relationship, and the two have worked together on “Team Jack.” In this post you can see  portion of the full profile that airs Saturday on our 11 a.m. ET TV show. Read more about this at Huskers.com and at Jack Hoffman’s page at CaringBridge.com. Randy York at Huskers.com posted this recent update, too.  Also, be sure to tune in at 11 a.m. ET Saturday. We’ll post the full feature online shortly after that.

Find out more about: ,

DeAnn Glover on 10/11/2012 @ 7:16pm EST Said:

Looking forwad to seeing the full video on the BTN. Rex is not only a great football player, but a great man who will make a difference in peoples lives like he has in Jacks. Jack is a very brave little boy and like a lot of other children is fighting a terrible disease. Since Rex & Jack have gotten together & Rex won the Uplifting Athletes Award & Team Jack was formed, a lot more interest is being focused on pediatric brain cancer. I pray for Jack for healing and for his family for strength, I believe that God is in Jack’s corner.

Nick & Rose Keller on 10/12/2012 @ 8:53am EST Said:

This is such a heart warming story of the good athletes can do. Rex you are a great athlete and a great person. Jack we have you in our prayers always what a brave boy and family. We know the Hoffman’s well and admire all they are doing for brain cancer not only for their son but for all of the kids with cancer.

SOnya on 10/12/2012 @ 3:44pm EST Said:

Rex is the type of man I hope my daughter grows up to marry. He is so caring, and giving. He is so selfless. Bless you Rex and Jack!

Army_Wife03 on 10/12/2012 @ 9:34pm EST Said:

What a great story. I’m proud to stay that I am a proud Nebraska fan and to see one of our players do something so amzing for this lil guy and his family.

Kathy Dvorak on 10/13/2012 @ 10:49am EST Said:

This just makes my heart warm. Rex is a standup guy and I am proud that I can say I am a Husker and these are the kind of men we have representing our football team.

Not to take away from this story but we have our own “Jack” at Franklin Middle School in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. We will doing a Mini Dance Marathon with support from the University of Iowa Dance Marathon student organization. We will raise money for cancer research at the University of Iowa Childrens Hospital. This dance is scheduled for Friday, Nov. 2nd.

Here is a story about our Jack done about three years ago. Anything we can do for kids fighting cancer should be a priority. Thanks Rex for all you do.

Julie Stellmacher on 10/13/2012 @ 12:06pm EST Said:

Each weekend we all get pumped up for our favorite teams. We get all geared out in our favorite colors and settle in for a winning game. This week I just happened to catch the Pre-game story of Jack and Rex!! I am still in awe!!! This has reminded me that although we all love our football teams, there is so much more out there in this big world. There are REAL HERO’s all around us. REX and JACK, YOU ARE MY HEROs. Blessings and prayers to both of you. TEAM JACK is the team to be on!!!

Carl McClain on 10/13/2012 @ 12:20pm EST Said:

I just watched the story on BTN and Now am A huge fan Of Burkhead and of Course JACK .Being A Deacon in a Ohio Church and Director of Ohio Fishers Of Men the People around me will hear the story and Pray also. For Jack and his family continue the fight and GOD Bless everybody that the story touched and remember there is always somebody has more struggles than you and You can be strong Like Jack !!!

Val Thomas on 10/13/2012 @ 2:46pm EST Said:

When GOD made man in his image I think he had Rex Burkhead’s character in mine

Daniel Conner on 10/13/2012 @ 8:50pm EST Said:

Stories like this, especially this story, are why I am so proud to be a Nebraska football fan.

Jenifer on 1/28/2014 @ 1:04am EST Said:

He died in 1985 but this very personal museum can be a lasting reminder of the
very remarkable man. Just must be link is on Piratebay does not necessarily mean that the users are getting, thus,
the flawed data. The vulnerability has apparently been fixed considering that the
interview with Russo came about, and usernames are again safe
and secure.