BTN School Days: Purdue Boilermakers
When a team gives itself the nickname “Dream Team,” it better deliver on the hype. The Purdue baseball team did just that in 2012. The Boilermakers (45-14, 17-7) won their first Big Ten crown since 1909, claimed the their first Big Ten tournament and advanced to their second NCAA tourney, their first as a regional host. That’s a lot of firsts, and it’s the reason the baseball team’s memorable season highlights Purdue’s 2011-12 athletic year. Want more? The program had a record seven players selected in the 2012 MLB First-Year Player Draft.
Catch Purdue Day on BTN all day Thursday. View our programming schedule for the list of shows, games and features to be shown on each Purdue Day. Future Purdue Days: July 12 and July 30.
Other Purdue highlights from the 2011-12 athletic year:
- Women’s basketball won the Big Ten tournament, dropping Nebraska in double overtime.
- Football knocked off Ohio State in overtime, the team’s second consecutive home win over the Buckeyes.
- Men’s basketball star Robbie Hummel was named first-team All-Big Ten.
- Volleyball went 16-4 in conference play and finished second in the Big Ten for the first time since 1987.
- Women’s tennis nabbed its first Big Ten tourney crown, rallying past Michigan.
- Women’s golf placed ninth at the NCAA Championships, behind Laura Gonzalez-Escallon third-place finish.
Shows/games to be featured on Purdue Day:
Big Ten Men’s Basketball ’10-11: Wisconsin at Purdue
The Journey: Big Ten Basketball 2011 – E’Twaun Moore & JaJuan Johnson
Big Ten Icons: John Wooden
Big Ten Icons: Gene Keady
Big Ten Football Replay: 2011 Little Caesar’s Bowl – Purdue vs. Western Michigan
BTN Game of the Week: Ohio State at Purdue – 2011
The Big Ten’s Greatest Games – Football: Notre Dame at Purdue – 1999
The Big Ten’s Greatest Games – Basketball: Indiana at Purdue – 1/18/94
The Big Ten’s Greatest Games – Basketball: Purdue at Michigan – 2/18/91