So much for the Michigan football program’s struggles. After suffering through the worst three-year period in program history (15-22), the Wolverines came out of nowhere to card an 11-2 record, including their first BCS win since 2000, in Year 1 of the Brady Hoke regime. Naysayers will argue the schedule played out perfectly for Michigan in 2011, but 11-2 is 11-2 no matter how you slice it. And the Wolverines did beat ranked foes, drilling Nebraska and nipping Virginia Tech, both of which were ranked No. 17, in addition to finally topping Ohio State.
Catch Michigan Day on BTN all day Thursday. View our programming schedule for the list of shows, games and features to be shown on each Michigan Day. Future Michigan Days include: July 2 and July 23.
Other Michigan highlights from the 2011-12 athletic year:
- Football put an end to its eight-game losing streak to heated rival Ohio State.
- Men’s basketball won a share of its first Big Ten title since 1986 with a 13-5 conference campaign; star point guard Trey Burke won Freshman of the Year from the media.
- Sophomore gymnast Sam Mikulak became first Wolverine since 200 to win two titles at the Big Ten Championships; he also won the NCAA title in the high bar.
- Michigan softball won its fifth consecutive Big Ten crown and advanced to the Super Regionals; Amanda Chidester won her second straight Big Ten Player of the Year honor and Haylie Wagner took home Pitcher of the Year and Freshman of the Year.
- Men’s swimming cruised to its 36th Big Ten championship.
- Evan King, of men’s tennis, won Big Ten Athlete of the Year.
- Women’s tennis earned a share of its third straight Big Ten title and advanced to the Sweet 16.
- Senior wrestler Kellen Russell won the 141-pound Big Ten crown, making him the first four-time Big Ten champ in Michigan history, and also added his second consecutive NCAA title.
- Senior cross country runner Danielle Tauro took the Great Lakes Regional title and won the Great Lakes Region Women’s Cross Country Athlete of the Year.
- Rowing won its fifth Big Ten crown and first since 2004, while Felice Mueller (Athlete of the Year) and Jessica Eiffert (Freshman of the Year) earned Big Ten honors.
Shows/games to be featured on Michigan Day:
The Big Ten’s Greatest Games – Football: Notre Dame at Michigan – 2009
The Big Ten’s Greatest Games – Football: 2008 Capital One Bowl – Michigan vs. Florida
The Big Ten’s Greatest Games – Basketball 12/9/89: Duke at Michigan
Big Ten Basketball Replay: Ohio State at Michigan – 2/18/12
Big Ten Icons: Charles Woodson
Big Ten Icons: Tom Harmon
Big Ten Icons: Bo Schembechler
Step Into My Office with Coach Hoke
2010 Big Ten Men’s Soccer Championship: Michigan vs. Penn State