BTN School Days: Indiana Hoosiers
Any talk about Indiana’s 2011-12 athletic year begins and ends with the turnaround of the men’s basketball program. On the heels of a forgettable three-year run that yielded a 28-66 record, the Hoosiers returned to relevancy with a 27-9 season, highlighted by a Sweet 16 berth and upset wins over eventual national champ Kentucky and then-No. 2 Ohio State. The difference between the previous three seasons: Freshman sensation Cody Zeller, the Coaches’ choice for Big Ten Freshman of the Year and an All-Big Ten second-team honoree.
Catch Indiana Day on BTN all day Tuesday. View our programming schedule for the list of shows, games and features to be shown on each Indiana Day. Future Indiana Days: June 27 and July 18.
Other Indiana highlights from the 2011-12 athletic year:
- Men’s cross country finished second at the 2011 Big Ten Championships with its best score in more than three decades.
- Men’s soccer advanced to the Sweet 16, where it lost to No. 1 North Carolina.
- Men’s track and field won its first Big Ten title since 1992, behind Andy Baher, the Co-Track Athlete of the Big Ten Championships.
- Men’s track and field star Derek Drouin won Field Athlete of the Big Ten Championships after tying the Big Ten record with his fifth high jump title.
- Men’s golf placed second at the Big Ten Championships, finishing three strokes short of its first Big Ten crown since 1998, and went on to finish ninth at the Greensboro Regional.
- Men’s junior diver Zac Nees won Big Ten Diver of the Year.
- Women’s swimming and diving took second at Big Ten Championships; senior swimmer Allysa Vavra won Big Ten Swimmer of the Year and Big Ten Swimmer of the Championships.
- Women’s tennis junior Leslie Hureau earned All-Big Ten honors for the third straight season, the first Hoosier to do so since 1995.
Shows/games to be featured on Indiana Day:
The Big Ten’s Greatest Games – Football 2002: Wisconsin at Indiana
Big Ten Icons: Mark Spitz
Big Ten Icons: Isiah Thomas
The Big Ten’s Greatest Games – Basketball 2/7/08: Indiana at Illinois
Big Ten Icons: Bob Knight
The Big Ten’s Greatest Games – Basketball 12/18/90: Kentucky at Indiana
Big Ten Basketball Replay: Kentucky at Indiana – 12/10/11
Big Ten Basketball Replay: Ohio State and Indiana – 12/31/11