The Big Ten Conference released its latest Big Ten Softball Players of the Week for Feb. 13-19 action on Monday. See who was honored and find out what they did to earn the distinction in this post.
Player of the Week: Lindsey Rains, Purdue, So., OF, Fullerton, Calif./Fullerton Union
- Hit .556 and combined for an OPS of 1.603 to help Purdue to a perfect 4-0 start to its season last weekend.
- Was 5-for-9 from the plate, had multi-hit efforts against Northern Colorado and New Mexico and had a perfect on-base percentage in Purdue’s season opener against Bryant
- Finished the weekend with three steals, scoring five runs and driving in five, including a two-run homer against New Mexico
- Records her first Big Ten Player of the Week honor
- Last Purdue Player of the Week: Andie Varsho (March 14, 2011)
Pitcher and Freshman of the Week: Haylie Wagner, Michigan, Fr., LHP, Orange, Calif./El Modena
- Recorded her third and fourth wins of the season after posting shutout wins in her two appearances of the weekend against LIU Brooklyn and nationally ranked Kentucky
- Pitched her first complete-game shutout of the weekend against LIU Brooklyn, striking out four while allowing just two hits
- Surrendered just six hits while striking out three against the No. 22/24 Wildcats to notch her second complete-game shutout of the weekend
- Claims her first career Big Ten Pitcher of the Week honor
- Last Michigan Pitcher of the Week: Jordan Taylor (May 16, 2011)
- Last Michigan Freshman of the Week: Sara Driesenga (Feb. 13, 2012)