The Big Ten Conference released its weekly Wrestler of the Week honor Tuesday. The latest award of the season went to Illinois’ Jesse Delgado. See what he did to earn the honor in this post.
Wrestler of the Week: Jesse Delgado, Illinois, 125 – Fr. – Salinas, Calif. – Gilroy
- Won two bouts over top 10 opponents to lead No. 7 Illinois to the Cornell Regional title at the NWCA Cliff Keen National Duals
- Pinned Oklahoma’s ninth-ranked Jarrod Patterson in 5:57 to give the Illini the early 6-0 lead in the team’s 21-18 win over the No. 12 Sooners in the regional semifinals
- Topped Cornell’s fifth-ranked Frank Perrelli in an 8-3 decision to lead Illinois to a 19-16 victory over the No. 3 Big Red in the regional finals
- Ranked sixth in the nation at 125 pounds
- Earns his first Big Ten weekly award
- Last Illinois Wrestler of the Week: Eric Terrazas (Jan. 10, 2012)